Internship - Test Engineer - Summer 2024
Our Lumen platform digitally connects people, data, and apps – quickly, securely, and effortlessly.
Be a part of an internship program, driving human progress through technology. During a 10-week period, our summer interns innovate and make an impact by transforming industries across the globe and changing the world one connection at a time. Our interns are presented with real business challenges and provide solutions that make a difference across all areas of the company, all while learning the skills needed to successfully navigate the modern workplace.
Our operating principles define how we work together:
- Teamwork is about showing up every day for each other.
- Trust is having each other’s backs.
- Transparency is respectfully telling it like it is. Measure our success transparently and accurately to win and learn.
Location: Denver, CO
This test position will participate in the testing and development of detailed network growth and evolution plans in support of High-speed Internet services over DSL and GPON (Fiber) technologies by providing top-tier testing support of new product and services for Lumen.
- Specific work will be in testing ADSL1, ADSL2+, VDSL2, GPON, and XGS-PON hardware and software solutions to provide top quality High-speed Internet services.
- This position is designed to provide automation testing support and results tracking for DSLAMs and GPON OLTs.
- The other primary duty for this position will be partnering with Senior level Architects to assist in certification projects for deployment of Access Network equipment into Lumen’s Network.
Minimum Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering/Computer Science.
- Technical understanding of the different types of xDSL and PON services provided in a consumer telecommunications network. (Ex. PPP, DHCP, OMCI communication, Fiber Services, 802.1Q, etc.)
- Programming and Automation skills specific to scripting with Perl and Python to create re-creatable automation utilizing knowledge of the network equipment under test.
- Accomplished written and verbal communications skills, excellent interpersonal skills as well as practical negotiation skills.
- Must have a high level of professionalism in all activities as well as high work ethic.
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Master's program in Telecommunications, Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering/Computer Science.
- Expert-level knowledge and experience with DSLAM and GPON equipment.
- Expert-level knowledge and experience with xDSL gateway equipment.
- Expertise in configuring a full end-to-end High-Speed Internet services or In-Home Router Configuration. (PPPoE, or DHCP authentication, 802.1q VLANs, etc.)
- Knowledge and Expert-Level experience in various Operating Systems Environments (Windows, UNIX, Solaris, and Linux.)
- Knowledge and Expert-Level experience in various forms of network security (ex. SSL, HTTPS, IPsec, VPNs, etc.)
Day to Day
- This Position will include assignment to one or more planned next generation PON technology projects. (XGS-PON, 50G-PON, etc.)
- Utilize existing Automation to execute rate/reach testing for xDSL services.
- Utilize existing Automation for system load and data fairness testing.
- Modify existing automation to conduct new optimization speed profile testing.
- Create new test cases to suit expanding technology scope.
- Troubleshoot defects found during testing through packet captures and analysis work.
- Work with other test team members to properly set-up and test new features and functions of these Next Gen Access Technologies.
Min: $25.00/hour Max: $41.00/hour
This information reflects the anticipated base salary range for this position based on current national data. Minimums and maximums may vary based on location. Individual pay is based on skills, experience, and other relevant factors.
This position is eligible for either short-term incentives or sales compensation. Director and VP positions also are eligible for long-term incentive. To learn more about our bonus structure, you can view additional information here. We're able to answer any additional questions you may have as you move through the selection process.
As part of our comprehensive benefits package, Lumen offers a broad range of Health, Life, Voluntary Lifestyle, and other benefits and perks that enhance your physical, mental, emotional, and financial wellbeing. You can learn more by clicking here.
About Lumen Technologies
Lumen is guided by our belief that humanity is at its best when technology advances the way we live and work. With 450,000 route fiber miles serving customers in more than 60 countries, we deliver the fastest, most secure global platform for applications and data to help businesses, government and communities deliver amazing experiences.
Learn more about Lumen’s network, edge cloud, security and communication and collaboration solutions and our purpose to further human progress through technology at news.lumen.com, LinkedIn: /lumentechnologies, Twitter: @lumentechco, Facebook: /lumentechnologies, Instagram: @lumentechnologies and YouTube: /lumentechnologies.