Bummer! This is just a preview. You need to be signed in with a Basic account to view the entire video.
The Google Play Developer Console3:08 with Ben Jakuben
We first need to create a publisher account using a Google account, and then we can publish and manage apps using the Google Play Developer Console.
Now it's time for Google Play. 0:00 We're going to sign up to be app publishers, and 0:02 then we'll get familiar with the developer console. 0:04 Which is the main page where we add and manage our Google Play apps. 0:06 So, here, at the Android developer site, 0:10 click on distribute, over here on the right. 0:11 And then, click on Google Play. 0:14 We're going to take a look at this get stated with publishing section. 0:15 Follow along or click on the link in the teacher's notes. 0:18 So this is a handy dandy checklist that covers the steps that we 0:21 need to walk through. 0:24 Now the steps might be slightly different by the time you're watching this video. 0:25 But the basics haven't changed much over time and 0:29 shouldn't change too much in the future. 0:31 Let me start by skipping ahead a, a minute if that's okay. 0:33 If you plan on selling apps, providing in app purchases, or providing subscriptions, 0:36 then you will also need a Google Wallet Merchant Account. 0:41 If you make any revenue on Google Play, you, 0:45 as the developer will get 70% of the revenue. 0:47 And, Google will keep the other 30%. 0:50 That's the same split as both Apple and Amazon. 0:51 Now, the Fun Facts app is gonna be available for 0:54 free, so I'm not going to walk through this option. 0:56 But, I just wanted to point it out in case you wanted to sell your app. 0:58 Okay, so, back up here. 1:01 The first thing we need to do is register for a publisher account. 1:02 Let's open the link here and take a look. 1:06 As you might expect, you need to log in with a Google account, 1:08 which you probably already have. 1:11 If not, you can create a new one here. 1:13 I'm just going to switch back to my Treehouse profile. 1:15 Now, because I'm logged in, I'm already at the Developer Console here. 1:17 But when you first register, you'll have to agree to the distribution agreement. 1:21 So take a look at that text and click on the agreement button. 1:24 You will also be prompted to submit that one-time payment of $25 that we 1:27 talked about briefly before. 1:31 Remember, that's a one-time setup fee that they use to encourage higher quality apps. 1:33 To make sure that people aren't just signing up for 1:37 free to put whatever apps they want on Google Play. 1:39 So once you register, you should get an email to verify your registration. 1:42 Go do that and then we'll explore this developer console here. 1:46 Your email should have a link back here. 1:49 But, if not you can use the link in the teacher's notes below. 1:51 So, because this is my Treehouse account, I've already got a few apps in here. 1:53 But, yours will be empty at first, of course. 1:57 And, we're ready to submit our app here. 1:59 But, before we do, let's take a minute to get our bearings here. 2:01 The Developer Console is a useful place to manage our published apps. 2:04 The first thing we wanna do is make sure our developer information is correct. 2:07 Click on the setting icon over here and 2:11 that brings us to the account details page. 2:14 The fields here are what users will see when they're downloading or 2:17 purchasing our app. 2:20 So we want to make sure that it's accurate for 2:20 them to contact us if they have any problems or questions. 2:22 If we scroll down a little bit, 2:25 there's a section down here to manage licenses for an app. 2:26 But we're actually not going to talk about this. 2:29 If you need to use a license, or 2:31 you're interested in learning more about it, check the link in the teacher's notes. 2:32 If you need to add other team members to this developer account, 2:36 click on the user accounts and rights link over here. 2:39 From here you can invite new users and 2:43 this is useful if you're working on a team. 2:44 Where more than one person will be responsible for managing the app. 2:46 One more thing I want to mention is the email preferences here. 2:49 I would recommend changing this to receiving alerts for all of the apps. 2:53 You can always change it back if you find you don't need any of the alerts. 2:56 All right. Let's go back to the App tab, 3:00 this little Android guy. 3:02 And here's where we're going to add our new app. 3:03 Let's take a short break and then we'll add fun facts here. 3:05
You need to sign up for Treehouse in order to download course files.Sign up