Welcome to the Treehouse Community

Want to collaborate on code errors? Have bugs you need feedback on? Looking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project? Get support with fellow developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels here with the Treehouse Community! While you're at it, check out some resources Treehouse students have shared here.

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today.

Start your free trial


Keep On Noticing This Button Style

Seems to actually be the same style thats even on the treehouse buttons, it seems to be everywhere nowadays: http://s30.postimg.org/gm0hv40wx/dytdydyt.png

Does anyone know what this kind of styling is called? Just wondering how and why its become so fashionable.

2 Answers

Charles Smith
Charles Smith
7,575 Points

I would generally call this "flat design". These buttons also sorta look like Google's Material Design however I think that is mostly coincidental. The other good news about this is that they're pretty easy to do in CSS.

I think this design style is prominent today as a result of the "web2.0" gloss falling out of fashion, which is probably hastened by both Google (first) and then iOS dropping the candy styling they had early on.

I see thanks, my online banking even has it, its everywhere - lol.