Welcome to the Treehouse Community

Want to collaborate on code errors? Have bugs you need feedback on? Looking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project? Get support with fellow developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels here with the Treehouse Community!

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today.

Start your free trial

Ruby ActiveRecord Basics Migrations and Relationships Migrations

[SOLVED] No database called 'biller' or 'biller_development'

Hi everyone,

I've got as far as starting the project, running rake db:create with no errors then entering the mysql prompt with mysql -uroot. From there, inside the mysql prompt, I've typed show databases; as shown in the video.

Unfortunately, I don't have any databases listed that relate to this project so I can't use the development one.

In my database.yml file, the names are correct, biller_development is mentioned in there. It doesn't seem to be mounted, though.

I have had problems with my $PATH - self inflicted ones, but I don't think I've fully corrected that yet. But I don't think that's responsible for the databases not being visible.

Any help or pointers would be appreciated. All my code is in Github here, if that might help.



1 Answer

Been having a few other problems that I've now fixed; I've reinstalled Rails and battled with the PATH again. I had to reinstall Rails as I couldn't get rails server to do anything except suggest a reinstall.

Now, I can run rails server and the page at localhost gives me an error, Unknown database 'biller_development' which isn't surprising.

So, a further rake db:create and we've got the databases back! Awesome - I'm back up to speed.

Just goes to show - a lot of Googling and trying out new stuff to fix self-created mistakes is a great learning tool!


Looks like I am having the same issue... I use Arch Linux so the database is MariaDB

Edit: Solved, had to get the passwords setup correctly to allow it to create the database.

Glad you solved your problems also!