Welcome to the Treehouse Community

Want to collaborate on code errors? Have bugs you need feedback on? Looking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project? Get support with fellow developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels here with the Treehouse Community! While you're at it, check out some resources Treehouse students have shared here.

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today.

Start your free trial

General Discussion

Christian Georg Strobl
Christian Georg Strobl
27,656 Points

Youtube Video: How I made 8000+ Points in 30 days

Hey Friends,

In October I started programming with Team Treehouse and it was one great experience: I completed several Learning Adventures and Treehouse makes it really easy and fun to learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Ruby.

I made more than 8000 Points in just 30 days and now I recorded a Video with some training tips on YouTube in order to share my experience and also get some feedback from you: How are you studying? Can you share some time management tips?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3jrOhLPSmE

Looking forward to your tips and ideas.

12 Answers

James Barnett
James Barnett
39,199 Points

I watched the video and these are the author's 10 points from the video

1. Set a Goal
  2. Have a plan and stick to it
  3. Be open the the reward system
  4. Take notes using paper & pencil
  5. Change content topics
  6. Turn on subtitles
  7. Work together with local people
  8. Engage with others on the forum
  9. Take breaks
  10. It's not about points

I got 2500 points in 1 week. :)

I spent about 2 hours or so each night after work. I signed up to Treehouse on November 10. Finished the entire iOS track videos yesterday (November 16). Yesterday, I also started my first own app (spent about 7 hours on it) and signed up to the Apple iOS dev program too. I'm going to give it some final touches and submit it to the app store this coming week. Really excited! Thanks Treehouse!

Wow. Great job! I know this post is way old, but would love to hear if/how you did more with your iOS skills you learned as the months/years rolled on.

James Barnett
James Barnett
39,199 Points

The video has some good suggestions, however I think #10 is most important. I'd expand that to be ...

It's not about the points, it's about what you can make. Like the tagline of codepen says demo or it didn't happen.

So I think the successfulness of a learning strategy can be measured by learning outcomes and one of the most in web design/web dev is what you can build.

So I'd propose for every programming badge you get you create your own practice exercise applying the concepts you just took notes on. You can use something like runnable to create your exercises.

Christian Georg Strobl
Christian Georg Strobl
27,656 Points

James, thanks for your reply and listing the points above. This is helpful.

Regarding your point of view towards the points, I agree, and want to add another dimension: The points you earned once, are staying on your profile, but the problem is that you will forget content of the videos. Therefore I'm currently looking for a way to keep the knowledge in the long-term-memory. One way is for sure making programs and apps.But maybe another way is to retake the code challenges as well at a certain time. I'm not sure, but maybe will try soon something like this: On Saturday, in order to recap the week, you gonna make a 2 hour code assessment/code test/code exam, where you retake randomly 5-10 code challenges of the badges you earned this week and you make a little program, where you can really demo the knowledge acquired.

Thanks for your input. Learning is also a process - a process of trial and error.

James Barnett
James Barnett
39,199 Points

> The points you earned once, are staying on your profile, but the problem is that you will forget content of the videos.

That's a really great point! I always say that learning a programming language is just like learning a natural language, it's use it or lose it.

> Therefore I'm currently looking for a way to keep the knowledge in the long-term-memory.

That's what spaced repetition software is for.

I did not know about this software. Thank you James i am going to install it now and give it a go.

Yeah it's not about the points, though the points are a incentive to keep going, otherwise they wouldn't exist on Treehouse. I'm just glad I was able to build my own app. I kept my first version simple, but I want to submit it to app store just to get a feel of the entire workflow. Once it gets accepted, I'll make version 2 better, and continue iterating.

So yes it's important to watch the videos and learn from them, but it's more important to use what you learn in projects to further expand your learning. :)

Education/knowledge is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned. Points are just... points but good luck any way!

This is a super video Christian Georg Strobl, and the 10 points you've outlined are fantastic! Thanks so much for putting it together and sharing it with the community, it will definitely be a valuable resource for other students. Congrats on the great progress too! :smiley:

Awesome post - thanks Christian Georg Strobl! :)

Flora Karami
seal-mask
.a{fill-rule:evenodd;}techdegree
Flora Karami
Front End Web Development Techdegree Student 14,947 Points

Thanks for the tips, Christian. I started using your tips like taking notes, turning on the subtitles, and changing subjects. It really helps! Thanks so much!

+1 on the subtitles; I always make sure to ask what's the ETA of subtitles for classes that don't have them so I can really meld the material into my brain through repetition

Christian Georg Strobl
Christian Georg Strobl
27,656 Points

Thank you all on your great feedback. The positive resonance on my video, did motivate me to continue and share more learning tricks and study plans in the future.

Together with my friend Max, we are now trying to learn iPhone Development in one week and will share training tips and study ideas with the community.

http://youtu.be/1Yg8oQKgxRI

Feel free to join our journey. Maybe we can learn and motivate each other together. I believe in the high potential of Treehouse and I'm certain that we can all get so much more out of it. It's one great experiment.

James Barnett
James Barnett
39,199 Points

Christian Georg Strobl -

Looks like that video is private.

Any updates on how your iOS learning is going?

Christian Georg Strobl
Christian Georg Strobl
27,656 Points

James Barnett - one week to learn iOS Development was very ambitious, I must say.
I recently started with the new Swift Track and there is a lot of progress already. I will keep you posted. Marc Ft already completed the iOS Development track and next week we are collaborating on a hackathon to practice our skills.

We keep you posted.

Christian Georg Strobl : Good luck; that's totally manageable without any sense of being rushed. I tried that for iOS but got stopped due to not having XCode or a OSX not being available to me. However, I wasn't exactly an iOS noob and have had taken other IOS elearning solutions to use the path to provide me more of a project-oriented approach I was missing after being quite familiar with the technicality of things.

I've been of stumped the past few weeks on what to make with all the knowledge I have, however.

How has planning to create things with your newfound or refined knowledge of the topics you've covered so far? I think that's the best way to take the learning towards being retainable when it all's said and done.

Ive been with treehouse since the beginning - Ive learned its definitely not about the points as you can see I only have like 3k+ but I use the app daily and re watch videos multiple times. Its also easy to get caught up in just watching what they're doing - I think good practice would be to really try and listen to what they are saying as well - you'll be surprised how much information they're throwing at you in a 4+/- min video.