Junior Java Teacher
Remote (Anywhere in the US)
We are looking for a teacher with experience in Java software development. Knowledge of Android, Kotlin, or web frameworks like Spark or Spring are a plus!
As a teacher at Treehouse, you’ll join our amazing team of teachers to create world-class learning material for students. This position requires a strong desire to constantly learn and then share that knowledge with beginner and intermediate programmers. You will excel in this role if you understand programming deeply, care about how people learn effectively, and enjoy breaking down and communicating complex ideas simply, clearly, and with enthusiasm. You must take deep pride in helping people attain new jobs and start a career in tech.
In this role you will work with our teaching team to create and present coursework and practice content online. This involves research, writing code, writing scripts, and recording on set and screencasting in one of our studios in Portland, OR or Orlando, FL.
Accepting applications until 02/28/2019
Help plan and create structured educational content and work with the teaching and video production teams through production and release. You will primarily be working in Java but we like teachers who are eager to learn and contribute across multiple software development topics. The content creation process for this role includes:
- Researching topics that are critical to making students ready for a job as a Java developer.
- Designing curriculum to teach Java programming fundamentals and best practices.
- Writing scripts for instructional video- and text-based content.
- Writing code for engaging real-world example projects, like a REST API for home automation.
- Creating rigorous quizzes, code challenges, and other types of assessment to test student learning and reinforce learning outcomes.
- Creating practice exercises and example material to aid students in their quest to master basic to intermediate programming skills.
- Recording instructional material both on set and as screencasts in either our Portland or Orlando locations.
- Supporting learning material after it is published by responding to student questions and making updates to content as necessary.
Teaching at Treehouse requires:
- A mindset of service for students
- Empathy for struggling students
- Embracing the virtues of maintenance and constant improvement
- Being flexible and embracing change
Programming experience is required. However, the core of this role is about teaching, not programming, which means that you must get deep fulfillment from:
- Changing people's lives by giving them job-ready skills. Although you won't be in a classroom, your courses will reach thousands of people around the world and prepare them for entry-level programming jobs.
- Teaching. You like to take complex concepts and explain them in a way that beginners can grasp.
- Learning. You like to teach because you also like to learn. You not only enjoy learning new developments in programming, but learning new ways to teach.
- Demonstrated programming ability in Java is required, with an understanding of:
- Object-oriented programming and design
- Programming patterns and best practices
- Helpful (but not required) experience includes:
- Web frameworks like Spring or Spark
- Outstanding writing abilities. You'll write a lot of scripts as a teacher, and occasional blog posts. If you like to blog, write "how-to" articles, have written a book (or would like to someday), you'll be happy in this job.
- Strong communication skills (especially written communication) with a desire for continuous improvement.
- A willingness to perform and record scripts on camera. Enthusiasm, optimism, and a growth mindset. This role requires flexibility and demands an eagerness to always be learning. You will always be working to master your understanding of language fundamentals and stay on top of evolving programming standards.
- Empathy for the student experience. One of our core values is about focusing on what is effective and good for each student's learning experience, and that is strongly related to the work you will do every day.
- Organization and time management skills. Working with a team and your manager, you must be able shepherd content through several phases that may last a few months.
- An online portfolio or GitHub account showcasing your projects is an added bonus but not required.
In addition to joining a fun and innovative company and working in a team-centered, flexible workplace, you’ll enjoy the following:
- Healthcare: Full coverage for medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- PTO: 3+ weeks PTO, federal holidays, and 1 week off in late December
- Retirement: 401(k) contribution match - Dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of your salary
- Continued Learning: $1,500 annual education budget (conferences, books, classes, etc.)
- Friends & Family: Share Treehouse learning with the ones you love ($1,000 annual value)
- Paid parental leave
- Wellness Allowance
Treehouse is an online technology school that has helped over 850,000 students. Our Mission is to bring affordable technology education to people everywhere in order to help them achieve their dreams and change the world. We transform normal folks into great developers and designers and then we help companies hire them successfully.
We believe in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, and we are proud to serve Students of all colors, ages, genders and sexual orientations. Our goal is to have the diversity of our team match the diversity of America.
Come join us and do the best, most meaningful work of your career.