Focus Your Mind, Improve Your Learning5:09 with Alena Holligan
Learn how your brain uses "focused" and "diffused" modes of thought to learn and make new neural connections. Use strategies to reduce distractions, improve focus, and learn better.
Tips to Engage Your Mind and Stay Focused
Prepare your body
- Exercise: exercise pumps oxygen to our brain, and can even generate new neurons
- Food: healthy fats like eggs, nuts and avocado energizes and increases production of neurotransmitters in your brain
- Caffeine: use it carefully. Exercise can be a better way to wake up in the morning.
Prepare your Mind
- Mix focused and diffused modes. Your brain wants roughly an hour of focus and 15 minutes of diffused activity
- Try the Pomodoro Technique to help you create a pattern of focus and break times
- Decide exactly what you want to focus on, before diving into focus mode
Prepare your space
- Turn off distractions: no cellphone, close unneeded applications and notifications on your computer. find a quiet space to work (if possible)
- Wear headphones: noises can be distracting. Try listening to nature sounds, white noise, or music without lyrics.
You need to sign up for Treehouse in order to download course files.Sign up