Welcome to the Treehouse Community

The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.

Android

Android development bundle not working

I set up the 64bit download on Win8 and have been successfully working through the videos and deploying them to my phone on one computer. I wanted to sync my workspace to another computer where I could work on it in a different location. I downloaded the 32bit package to that machine (Win8 x86), but Windows complains that this program won't run on this computer. I tried it again in case I had made the mistake, but no changes. Anything I can do? Did the links get mixed up perhaps?

Thanks.

6 Answers

I am having the same issue with Win7 (32bit), once I downloaded the bundle, an error pops up when I try to open "Eclipse" saying it is not compatible with my windows.

Any solution?

Ben Jakuben
STAFF
Ben Jakuben
Treehouse Teacher

I am unable to reproduce this on our Windows computers at the office. For Win7, it sounds like there might be an issue with Eclipse running on certain versions: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2120160/eclipse-is-not-starting-on-windows-7

For those installations that are failing, can you run the initial_setup.bat scripts and post the logs in here or email them to help@teamtreehouse.com? Thanks!

Also, if you continue to have trouble with the Treehouse bundle, check out this Forum answer about switching painlessly to the newer Android bundle on the Android developer site.

One step at a time, I sent some results to the help email. I'll look at the other bundle, but I really like having things just as expected when working with the videos. If it's much different, I might delay that option for a bit...

I also tried the ADK option suggested above. Initially, Eclipse launches in this case, but it immediately complains about something being out of date, and tries to launch the SDK manager to update it. Instead of launching, the following appears in the console at the bottom:

[2013-04-12 16:29:29 - SDK Manager] [SDK Manager] This version of Q:!android_dev_environment\Java\jdk1.6.0_35\bin\java.exe is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information and then contact the software publisher. [2013-04-12 16:29:29 - SDK Manager] [SDK Manager] Invalid path

This looks remarkably similar to the command-line error I saw when trying to run the initial_setup.bat in the treehouse bundle.

I compared my java components with what's available, and I'm up to the latest 7u17 as of this writing. Another thing I don't understand is how this versioning, which I'm familiar with, relates to the jdk1.6.0_35 numbering referenced above. Does one relate to the other, or are they completely separate?

That's all I know, heading home on a Friday afternoon for now.

Ben Jakuben
STAFF
Ben Jakuben
Treehouse Teacher

Hi Mark,

I'm sorry things aren't working for you! I understand your desire to have everything working out of the box to match the videos. The ADT option from the Android developer site is almost identical, so it shouldn't cause you any trouble following along.

I need to find a way to recreate this issue so I can hopefully troubleshoot it and put up a new version of the bundle. For you, though, I think you can get the ADT version working by deleting the Treehouse bundle unzipped at Q:\android_dev_environment. You can have multiple versions of Eclipse running, but they share preferences if they're using the same workspace. So if you delete the bundle then the ADT from the Android developer site should switch to your own version of Java and everything else it needs to be self-sufficient.

You sent me an email about some configuration tidbits stored in the user area of the system drive, and that took care of it. I was able to get back in the flow and follow another half-dozen videos or so and everything was functioning.

I did run into another anomaly, but that's more code-related, so I'll start another thread for that. Keep an eye out. :)

Thanks for your help.