Welcome to the Treehouse Community

The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.

Development Tools Using PHP with MySQL Querying the Database with PHP Querying the Database

Cannot connect to the Database

In the last video, my code connected to the database just fine, but is now throwing the first exception ("Could not connect to the database").

My code is as follows:

<?php

try {
    $db = new PDO("mysql:host=localhost;
                            dbname=shirts4mike;
                            port=3306;",
                            "root",
                            "");
    $db -> setAttribute( PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE, PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION );
    $db -> exec("SET NAMES 'utf-8'");

} catch (Exception $e) {
    echo "Could not connect to the database.";
    exit;
}

try {
    $results = $db -> query("SELECT name, price FROM products");
    echo "Query was successful.";
} catch ( Exception $e ) {
    echo "Query could not be processed.";
    exit;
}

When I remove this code:

    $db -> setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE,PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
    $db -> exec("SET NAMES 'utf-8'");

everything seems to work fine, but I cannot see what I am doing wrong with that bit of code.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Answer

Here is my code from that project. It worked:

<?php
$db->setAttribute(PDO::ATTR_ERRMODE,PDO::ERRMODE_EXCEPTION);
$db->exec("SET NAMES 'utf8'");

The only difference I see is the white space. Try removing the spaces on both sides of the -> first. If that does not work, then remove the white space around the rest of the stuff.

Let me know what the answer is because I am very curious.

I tried removing the white space from around the arrows, but that still didn't work, yet it works just fine when I paste in the code that you provided.

Aha! In my code, I have it written as "utf-8", whereas in your code, it is "utf8" (without the hyphen), so it must be catching an error in the database itself, and since we have that ERRMODE thing set up, it throws the Exception in that "catch" block right after it (at least I think that's how that ERRMODE thing works). :)

Thanks!

I should have seen the hyphen. I read that we should really use utf8mb4. I am not sure why that is, though. I think it is a security issue.