Welcome to the Treehouse Community
Want to collaborate on code errors? Have bugs you need feedback on? Looking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project? Get support with fellow developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels here with the Treehouse Community!
Looking to learn something new?
Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today.Start your free trial
Jonathan GrieveTreehouse Moderator 91,247 Points
I just can't get my head around Android
I'm not giving up by any means but every time I go into Android Studio I'm faced with too many questions and not enough answers.
Common issues include
- Rendering Problems in Android Preview - AS doesn't have the right classes for various devices previewed.
- Emulator doesn't remove ActionBar despite selecting NoActionBar themes in styles.xml
- Emulator loads too slowly or not at all. Happily, when it does get going and is left open it runs much faster
- Unable to find resources when trying to select src for ImageViews
- Problems finding the right parents to target the correct Theme. to select in styles.xml. Sometimes I find the versioned style folder but is vastly different to the standard one... that's if I find it at all.
- Understanding how to place and layout Views and Components in Android preview.
But the biggest question on my mind is what API and version of Android SDK I should be targeting to follow the video. I'm sure that I've downloaded the wrong one to match the video, or rather the course uses a different API to what I am using and I'm struggling to keep up with the little differences.
Can I simply update my copy of AS and do my best to folow from there or is it absolutely necessary to follow along with the exact version for each course?