Welcome to the Treehouse Community
Looking to learn something new?
Jonathan GrieveTreehouse Moderator 90,705 Points
I just can't get my head around Android
I'm not giving up by any means but every time I go into Android Studio I'm faced with too many questions and not enough answers.
Common issues include
- Rendering Problems in Android Preview - AS doesn't have the right classes for various devices previewed.
- Emulator doesn't remove ActionBar despite selecting NoActionBar themes in styles.xml
- Emulator loads too slowly or not at all. Happily, when it does get going and is left open it runs much faster
- Unable to find resources when trying to select src for ImageViews
- Problems finding the right parents to target the correct Theme. to select in styles.xml. Sometimes I find the versioned style folder but is vastly different to the standard one... that's if I find it at all.
- Understanding how to place and layout Views and Components in Android preview.
But the biggest question on my mind is what API and version of Android SDK I should be targeting to follow the video. I'm sure that I've downloaded the wrong one to match the video, or rather the course uses a different API to what I am using and I'm struggling to keep up with the little differences.
Can I simply update my copy of AS and do my best to folow from there or is it absolutely necessary to follow along with the exact version for each course?