Welcome to the Treehouse Community

The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.

General Discussion

Little guidance please

Hi, i am looking to achieve the following, i know i can use javascript/jquery to do it but looking for alternatives.

So say i have a list of links on the left of the page around 30% and the other 70% is on the right for content. What i want to do is when each one of the li's is clicked i want content to be put into the 70% part. Then when another is clicked i want it to update to the correct content.

Can this be done with PHP and a Database? The reason i don't want JS is come people have it disabled and wouldn't work. Any advice would be greatly received.

2 Answers

Tom Bedford
Tom Bedford
15,645 Points

Is it an option to have a fixed list on the left with anchor tags linking to text on the right hand side side - so it would jump up/down the page when you click a link in the list? Or, have that as the default behavior and use JS to just show one at a time for those that have it enabled.

Here is an example of the first idea (page jumps up and down, static navigation) though the list is on the right in this case. This has been enhanced with jQuery so that it smoothly scrolls between the content. This is from a tutorial posted on the forums recently. With JS disabled it would still work just without the scrolling effect.

Sorted it now thanks. Ended up stumbling upon div:target in css3. so hidden them all to start and they appear as like they would using JS but its pure CSS here is a fiddle i found if your interested.

Tom Bedford
Tom Bedford
15,645 Points

I don't believe :target works on IE8 and below without a polyfill (which would need JS), so some sort of fallback may be needed depending one what you are using this for.

Ok thanks for the tip. Just out of interest how many people can really be on IE8 doesn't everybody update their browsers. This is something i don't understand too much on really

James Barnett
James Barnett
39,199 Points

> I don't believe :target works on IE8 and below without a polyfill

That's what selectivizr is for

Tom Bedford
Tom Bedford
15,645 Points

Windows XP is stuck on IE8 I think usage is around 8-10% so it's a significant minority. Even if someone has diligently done all their "Windows Updates" they would still have IE8 if they hadn't looked elsewhere for a browser.

Thanks again it makes more sense now to be why people would be stuck on old browsers. I will look for a fallback for older browsers.