Welcome to the Treehouse Community
The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)
Looking to learn something new?
Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.
Fernando Ramos4,369 Points
Ruby on Rails install error during "gem install sqlite3" command
I had an error when I ran the "D:\gem install sqlite3" command per the lesson "Installing Ruby on Rails" ... I am using Windows 8.1 and downloaded the Ruby Installer rubyinstaller-2.1.3-x64.exe and the Ruby DevKit DevKit-mingw64-64-4.7.2-20130224-1432-sfx.exe. Everything went well until I got "ERROR: Failed to build gem native extensions" message... it had a lot of other stuff on this message and I have a snapshot to send you when you reply to this email.
I cannot go further since this SQLite3 error is causing Rails to fail on the "testapp" portion and I cannot successfully run the "bundle exec rails server" command due to this error in SQLite3 from above.
David Rynn10,554 Points
I had the same issue then went through the Windows 8 control panel to uninstall Ruby and all associated installers (I may have had a couple of ruby and rails installations from before). Then I re-installed using Ruby v. 1.9.3. Here's the link: http://dl.bintray.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/rubyinstaller-1.9.3-p545.exe?direct
and then I used the associated devkit. Link:
Then I carefully followed the directions for the rest of the video. Everything worked for me. Some of the installations pause for a minute or two while they're doing their thing, so be patient.
Hope this helps.
Jason SeiferTreehouse Guest Teacher
Grice Mulligan3,378 Points
I encountered the same issue described by Fernando Ramos above. After numerous attempts to resolve the situation--including 4 fresh installs, none of which succeeded--I've completed the sqlite3 install for Ruby on Rails on Windows 7 by following the step-by-step instructions found here: http://rubyonwindowsguides.github.io/book/ch02-05.html
Starting from the error described by Fernando Ramos above, it took me a bit over an hour to complete the steps in the instructions in the link provided.