Welcome to the Treehouse Community

The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.

Python Using Databases in Python Meet Peewee Queries Are Your Friend

Students are being filtered to top student properly.

When I run the code, I was given davemcfarland as the top student (great). Then I increased the points for kennethlove. I was still getting davemcfarland back. (I saved the code before running). I tried exiting and reopening the workspaces. I then ran it again and was getting craigsdennis back (clearly has the least amount of points). So I closed and opened the workspaces again. I am getting davemcfarland again. (I didn't change anything to the code between tests).

Here is my code. Is there something with my code or something wrong with my workspaces?

from peewee import * 

db = SqliteDatabase('students.db')

class Student(Model):
  username= CharField(max_length=225, unique=True)
  points = IntegerField(default=0)
  class Meta: 
    database = db 

students = [
  {'username': 'kennethlove', 
   'points': 14788},
  {'username': 'chalkers', 
   'points': 11912},
  {'username': 'joykesten2', 
   'points': 7363},
  {'username': 'craigsdennis', 
   'points': 4079}, 
  {'username': 'davemcfarland', 
   'points': 14700},

def add_students():
    for student in students:
        except IntegrityError:
            student_record = Student.get(username=student['username'])
            student_record.points = student['points']

def top_student():
  student = Student.select().order_by(Student.points.desc()).get()
  return student

if __name__ == '__main__':
  db.create_tables([Student], safe=True)
  print("Our top student right now is: {0.username}".format(top_student()))
Steven Parker
Steven Parker
216,017 Points

You can share the entire workspace by making a snapshot and posting the link to it.

2 Answers

Thank you. I didn't realize. https://w.trhou.se/evfo3nn1y6

Steven Parker
Steven Parker
216,017 Points

I don't understand the part about getting Craig's name, but I think I see the other issue.

The database is loaded from the file "students.db", which already exists in the workspace, and contains names that conflict with those in the "students" list. That causes the "add_students" function to fail, so you just get the results based on what was in the file to start with.

So to see the different results, you just need to delete the old database file before you run the Python program. I gave it a try for confirmation, and it worked.