Welcome to the Treehouse Community
The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)
Looking to learn something new?
Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.
Jeremy Monroe3,239 Points
Unable to set up Easy WP SMTP
I've installed Easy WP SMTP and filled out the general settings as shown in the video. However when I try to send a test email it doesn't send and I get the message: SMTP connect() failed. The site for Easy WP SMTP actually says to use different settings than the Treehouse video however using those settings yielded the same results. Anyone having the same issue?
Danielle Quevedo17,556 Points
I got the same error and fixed it by using a different plugin called Postman instead of using Easy WP SMTP.
The latest version of Postman hasn't been tested with Wordpress 4.1.1 but I used it anyways it worked fine with my gmail account, no plugin extensions required. I also used the Easy install process with the Setup Wizard instead of the manual install options.
The website link above has all the instructions including a helpful video but Google has changed their Developer Console layout a little since the instructions were written so here's a revised version I've typed up:
Easy install and setup! (Recommended for all users)
- Install and activate the plugin through the 'Plugins' menu in WordPress.
- In the WordPress 'Settings' menu select 'Postman SMTP'.
- Choose 'Start the Wizard' and follow the instructions.
- Continue through the Wizard by getting a client ID (see below)
How do I get a Google Client ID? (For Gmail users only!)
Watch the Postman Setup Video
1) Go to Google Developer's Console and login with the same email address that you are configuring Postman with.
2) Choose 'Create a New Project'. This project will be for Postman SMTP only.
2-1) Click the [Go to Credentials] button
2-2) a pop-up window will appear. it's titled APIs Credentials and it says you need credentials to access APIs. From the New credentials drop down, select OAuth client ID
2-3) click the [configure consent screen] button
3) the button you clicked in step 2-3 takes you straight to the 'Consent Screen'. Enter your email address and for product name put 'Postman SMTP'. Hit Save.
4) it automatically takes you to the Credentials page. Choose 'Create a new Client ID'
5) For the 'Application Type' use 'Web application'.
7) In 'Authorized Redirect URIs' enter the 'Redirect URI' given by Postman (either from the wizard, or from the manual configuration page).
8) Click [Create]
9) Enter the Client ID and Client Secret displayed here into Postman's settings page
The end of the video then shows you how to send a test email.
Benefits of Postman
- you don't have to "Allow less secure apps" to access your google account
- you don't have to enter your email login info into your wordpress site so your email account is more secure.
Hope this helps!