Welcome to the Treehouse Community
Want to collaborate on code errors? Have bugs you need feedback on? Looking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project? Get support with fellow developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels here with the Treehouse Community! While you're at it, check out some resources Treehouse students have shared here.
Looking to learn something new?
Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today.Start your free trial
amanda song1,209 Points
upload my html and css pages to hostagor
I need help about this. I know this is a basic question but after watching several youtube video it still not working, and I can not figure this out. I am making a website now. I have html and css files ready but when it comes to upload to hostagtor I have problems to publish it. Anyone can help me with this? I am a beginner on website making. sorry for asking such a dum question but I am really need help.
Thank you in advance
Hey Amanda, Totally okay to have questions about this since it's your first time -- there are so many things to know that aren't really talked about in "coding tutorials". A simple way to move your files to a shared hosting service like HostGator is to use FTP (FTP stands for "file transfer protocol"). Basic steps to do that are:
- Log into your HostGator account and get to your cPanel admin interface.
- Look for your account's FTP info: you'll need a hostname, a username, and a password (these will be different than your HostGator username and password). It might be in the "Files" section.
- Once you know your FTP info, you'll need an FTP client application on your computer. Common ones are FileZilla (for Windows or Mac), CyberDuck (for Mac), etc. Download and install one of those.
- Open up your FTP client application and connect to your HostGator FTP account: in FileZilla, you can just paste your host, username, and password into the top menu there and click the "Quickconnect" button.
- In the FTP client, the left column shows you all the files on your own computer, the right column shows all the files on your HostGator account's server. To put your HTML and CSS and any other files on your HostGator account, find the files on your local computer and drag them over into the
/public_htmlfolder that's already there in your HostGator files. That's the folder that's the "web root" of your website.
- Dragging them over initiates an upload to HostGator. Once the files are uploaded and over in the HostGator public_html folder, you should be able to see them on your website!
If you get stuck, try HostGator's Support articles or Googling "How to FTP HostGator" or reach out to HostGator's support directly.
Good luck to you!