Welcome to the Treehouse Community
Looking to learn something new?
Web Design reference guide update 2014
What are some mandatory references for Web Designers that are still relevant today?
I'm surrounding myself with books, documentaries, podcasts and websites. And I'm always looking for new sources of knowledge, but sometimes I feel some of them are outdated.
I'll list 10 books and podcasts that back up my knowledge to this day.
- 99% invisible
- The Boagworld Web Design Show
- Let's Make Mistakes
- Typeradio Podcast
- On the Grid
- Design Matters with Debbie Millman
- The Big Web Show
- Unfinished Business
- The Talk Show With John Gruber
- Don't Make Me Think. Steve Krug
- Universal Principles of Design. William Lidwell, Kritina Holden, Jill Butler
- The Design of Everyday Things. Donald Norman
- Thinking With Type. Ellen Lupton
- The Elements of Typographic Style
- Stop Stealing Sheep & Find Out How Type Works. Erik Spiekermann
- Design is a Job. Mike Monteiro
- A Practical Guide to Information Architecture. Donna Spencer.
- Mobile First. Luke Wroblewski
- Rework. Jason Fried, David Heinemeier Hansson
Treehouse is the best Web Design knowledge hub I've found so far. And it's always being updated, wich is awesome. But if you have more suggestions, please share them.
So, apparently I didn't mention one huge reference 'for people who make websites': A List Apart. Specially this article:
And Mr. Zeldman just nailed it. My gosh, how great that article is. The Web reinvents itself incredibly fast, but at the same time we have so much to catch on. It's not easy being a Web Designer nowadays.
Mauricio Zambrano14,849 Points
Some nice books part of the a book apart collection
Just Enough Research by ERIKA HALL
Content Strategy for Mobile by KAREN MCGRANE
Design Is a Job by MIKE MONTEIRO
Mobile First by LUKE WROBLEWSKI
Designing for Emotion by AARRON WALTER
Responsive Web Design by ETHAN MARCOTTE
You’re My Favorite Client by MIKE MONTEIRO