Welcome to the Treehouse Community

The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)

Looking to learn something new?

Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.

JavaScript

Hashim Warren
seal-mask
.a{fill-rule:evenodd;}techdegree
Hashim Warren
Front End Web Development Techdegree Student 1,207 Points

What should I learn to make a note taking app?

As a first personal project I want to create a note taking app so my coworkers can quickly and easily record their time during the day.

Later I want them to be able to refer to the app when they want to officially enter their time into our job's cumbersome time recording system

Can this be done with just Javascript, or do I need a server side technology like PHP?

2 Answers

Charles Massry
Charles Massry
12,253 Points

It needs server side scripting to get notes from the database at a later point, so yes you'll need some type of RESTful app.

James Barnett
James Barnett
39,199 Points

> you'll need some type of RESTful app

Server-side languages & databases don't necessarily imply REST.

Mike Bronner
Mike Bronner
16,395 Points

I would recommend using WordPress. It will provide the backend to save the information, and also allow each user to log in. Specifically, I would recommend the WordPress track, if you aren't familiar with it, to get up and running. If you are looking to build your own solution, then follow that up with the WordPress Plugin Project here: http://teamtreehouse.com/library/how-to-build-a-wordpress-plugin From there you can then build your custom plugin. This won't cover all aspects, like custom post types, but it will get you 75% there. And getting the other 25% from other online tutorials and the WordPress Codex should be easy enough. :)

I imagine that the main goal is to get experience for you. If you aren't a web developer, and don't want to be one, then you could look at making iOS or Android apps to do the job. However, know that you will always have to create some form of API that goes over the web, so you will always have to deal with that aspect.

If the educational aspect is secondary, you could always see if someone else has made a plugin for WordPress that fits your bill. But this sounds like a great little starter-project that has growth potential that will further your knowledge immensely.

Best of luck! ~Mike

Hashim Warren
seal-mask
.a{fill-rule:evenodd;}techdegree
Hashim Warren
Front End Web Development Techdegree Student 1,207 Points

Thanks! In the intro to that track they recommend a strong foundation in PHP, Wordpress, and JQuery. Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.