Why is it considered bad practice to use tables markup a website?
Does it have negative affordances? Just trying to get more transparency on this whole technique.
Here are some reasons why table layouts are bad:
- Tables are semantically incorrect markup for layout.
- Tables are horrible for screen readers.
- Tables break text copying on some browsers.
- Tables are usually more bytes of markup. (Longer to download)
- Tables lock you into the current design and make redesigns MUCH harder than semantic HTML+CSS.
- Tables prevent certain layouts from working within them
- Once you know CSS, table-based layouts usually take more time to implement.
Hope that helps.
Just remember that it's only bad practice to use tables for design / layout. If you have tabular data which belongs in a table, then a table would be the most correct mark up.