Welcome to the Treehouse Community
The Treehouse Community is a meeting place for developers, designers, and programmers of all backgrounds and skill levels to get support. Collaborate here on code errors or bugs that you need feedback on, or asking for an extra set of eyes on your latest project. Join thousands of Treehouse students and alumni in the community today. (Note: Only Treehouse students can comment or ask questions, but non-students are welcome to browse our conversations.)
Looking to learn something new?
Treehouse offers a seven day free trial for new students. Get access to thousands of hours of content and a supportive community. Start your free trial today.
Wordpress vs Front-End Developers.
Who has the brighter future here? I'm noticing recently that more and more jobs are geared towards Wordpress. Is it smarter to go with a Wordpress career path/track or the regular old Front-End developer path? I know there is some overlap and that all knowledge is good knowledge but, I'm a busy guy. I only have so much energy to devote here. When it comes to getting the best job what should I focus on?
Markus Schober3,149 Points
I am a Wordpress Developer. 60% of my work is developing a theme for a client. This means I have to know all of the Front-End-Stuff and the Backend-stuff (PHP/MySQL) too. The other 40% are developing plugins and other Wordpress specific stuff, where only a little bit of Front-End skills are needed. What I am trying to say is, that as a Wordpress developer, you are a often a Front-End-Developer too. I'd take the Front-End path and if you like it, the Wordpress path after the Front-End path.
You da man, Markus! Thanks for that info. What about employers though? In your experience, what do they like to see more in the current state of the job market?
Markus Schober3,149 Points
I can only speak for the job market in Austria… I think there it is 50 / 50. I see many job offers like "Front-End Developer with experience in Wordpress (and other CMS, but Wordpress is dominating)
I started with HTML/CSS about 9 years ago and about 6 years ago I dived into Wordpress and it was a breeze, because I already knew the Front-End stuff and "only" had to learn the Wordpress Stuff and PHP itself. I'd do it again this way, because the learning curve of HTML/CSS is not so steep. Wordpress is also easy to learn, if you have some knowledge in HTML / CSS / JS (the basic Front-End Stuff)
You cant really compare Wordpress to Front End Developers, because Front End Developers are the same type of developer that develops on wordpress. Wordpress does not replace the front end developer, it is a framework a front end developer can use. Other comparative frameworks to Wordpress are Drupal and Joomla, but a frontend developer can use those frameworks to develop a site. They are not replacements for Front End Developers.
That makes a lot of sense too. I personally haven't really done anything with Wordpress yet, so I don't know how much code is involved, or which types of code.
The server-side language is PHP, and it interacts with a MySQL database, but the front end languages are the same as everything else on the web: a combination of HTML, CSS and JS. Wordpress is just the framework, or toolset a Front End developer, or designer can use to build a Content Management System for a client. So yeah, just trying to clarify the difference between what Wordpress is, and what a Front End Developer is. One does not 'replace' the other.
Todd Harvey3,178 Points
Say I'm a felon and jobs could be scarce but not impossible. I can find clients on my own I actually have one but I cant finish her site as a basic front end developer because she wants more than a regular website. I need a CMS and so now I need to learn wordpress to build her a blog and a store I guess but yeah I wanted to do Front end first but it looks like I may learn WordPress first so I can get to the money faster and then from there I am going to finish learning front end in my spare time...is that a god plan???